Monday, June 27, 2011

Terra U

Last night we all made a plan to go to the bar that Chelsea and Christa found on accident. They said that
it was a fun, happening place, so the rest of us were all on board. Lindsey, who is a member of the family
we are staying with, came with Jeff and me in addition to Caitlyn (sheís also in the WSU group). We
arrived, and we quickly found that Chelsea and Christa were rightóit was a fun, happening place. The
beer was a bit cheaper than the bar Jeff and I went to the other day, Jazz CafÈ (The Jazz cafÈ was a bar
we also all made plans to go to, but no one showed up except 2 other girls from the program. We paid
to get inside, when everyone else decided it was too expensive and found last nightís bar, Terra U). One
by one, different people we knew would show up, all girls and all permitted upstairs. We donít know
why, but us men were not allowed upstairs. We didnít even know what secrets the level contained. That
made it easier, I suppose, but as soon as we learned that ladies drink for free up there, then I got really
sour. What was super bull shit was that as soon as the girls went upstairs, they never came back down. I
should not have let that ruin my night, but it did. I was really upset to hear that when asked to join us
again down stairs, they would say things like, ìItís your fault for being a boy.î Maybe Iím over reacting,
but that shit is rude. Iím not incredibly impressed with my friends at this point.

We went to the movies a few days ago because everyone kept saying, ìDos para uno!î which means 2
for 1 movie prices. We were really looking forward to some Spanish cinema for a really good priceó
turns out that it was American cinema with Spanish subtitles at regular prices. That was stupid. We saw
Piratas Del Caribe. Iíve already seen this Pirates Movie installment, so I was not too incredibly impressed
with it a second timeÖ I barely even bothered reading the subtitles.

Jeff and I have been keeping a really good eye on our surroundings so we never get lost again. You
would think keeping an eye on things would keep us also from getting into pirate taxiís, but it doesnít.
After the bar last night, Jeff was persuaded to get into a non licensed cab, and was ready to accept that.
Lindsey and I were not going along with such a silly idea and we pulled him out and found another. Iím
getting really good at getting us all home in one piece each. Learning things like, ìCurridabat La Lia, por
favor.î That is our neighborhood. I can direct the driver left, right, and gaily forward, in addition to
inquiring about the condition of the meter. It is really easy to get swindled in taxiís here.

Classes are still going well, but it definitely sucks not having a book. I have to do it early in the morning
or before leaving the school and I have to use other peopleís books. So far theyíve all been really ok with
letting me borrow them. The lectures are usually boring, and sometimes really hard to not fall asleep.
The work isnít difficult, but the concept is usually a bit tricky to grasp. If one doesnít speak Spanish, and
theyíre trying to explain things in Spanish, one doesnít understand the concept being explained.
Sometimes I just want to yell at the teachers, ìShut the hell up with your Spanish bull shit!!!î I never do,
I just want to.

Tomorrow weíre going to Punta Leona. Iíll let you know how it is. :D

Derek Williamson

XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment