Friday, June 17, 2011

2 for 1

We went to sleep early last night. We had the idea that spending all day on a plane had exhausted all of our energy. While that was true, going to sleep at 5 pm was not the best idea. A good sleep on a great plane makes up for a lot of energy loss. I had a difficult time staying asleep. I slept, but only for a few hours at a time. The heat definitely got to me. I would continuously wake up in a dry sweat ready for an adventure of some sort. That adventure eventually turned into watching the rest of The Terminal. Chelsea and I began watching it on our wait for the Atlanta plane. I'd never seen the movie all the way through. I laughed. A lot. I hope I didn't make her stir too much.

After waking up at about 7:40, we quickly prepared ourselves for our first Costa Rican breakfast. Sadly, it was a disappointment. It consisted in eggs and toast. Any person could order the same plate in any American Diner. But not to worry, the day was young. And we had a bit of exploring to do before our bus took us to the Caribbean side of the country. After making a few toiletry purchases in a local "tienda," we made our way back to our hotel. Because The Hotel Inca Real is in the heart of San Jose, there are plenty of security measures. For instance, there was a metal gate at the entrance to the structure with an electronic opening mechanism. After the store, we found ourselves locked outside the metal gate. No one around to buzz us in. This was especially frustrating considering our bus was scheduled to leave not 20 minutes after discovering our dilemma. Eventually, after much yelling, in both English, Spanish, and Physical gestures and noises, a Maid-of-sorts came to our rescue.

After finally getting to the bus station, still on time for our 10 a.m. bus, we find that it is full and we have to wait for the 12 p.m. Bull shit. Fuck that. We wait despite our prostest. In an attempt to kill time, we both read and explore the bus station, as it is filled with many little gift shops. I bought a Ben 10 watch, but Chelsea just looked around. As the time passed, I couldn't help getting more and more enthralled with the book I picked by it's cover. Grave Surprise. I forget the author, Bridget will know, but I forget. And while it is just on the bed next to the one Chelsea and I are resting, but as you can tell, I am far to lazy. I suppose the drunk is to blame. Oh, by the way, the bus took us to a town on the Caribbean side called, " Puerta Viejo." This translates to Old Port, not too dissimilar to New Port. Regardless of its meaning, we are having a blast. Much less scary and confusing than San Jose. I wish our School was here. The language barrier is minuscule in comparison. The tree's, ocean, and general scenery is much more better.

We checked into our awesomely beach-like hotel called Casa Verde (Green House). This place resembles the Swiss Family Robinson's interpretation of a good nights sleep in this day and age. The beds are a different bread, and Chelsea feels confident that her sleep will be infinitely better than the last. I fear the beer tower she made will disturb us in our slumber. That won't be very conducive to our sleep, but as they say, "When in Rome, build a tower of beer. Local beer." We had dinner at a restaurant called Stahus: it proved very difficult to find considering it recently changed its name from El Loco Natural. We wandered the streets in search of a lost name. Luckily an English speaking German lady was kind enough to help. God bless Germany. I ordered vegetarian tacos, and Chelsea sea bass shit. Both delicious in our respected opinions. I also ordered a beer called Imperial. It is brewed here in Costa Rica. Delicious. It is the equivalent to Bud. Considering the amount of dark beer that I've ingested lately, simple and delicious is refreshing.

After our confusing predicament of the bill (we didn't know what the hell we were supposed to do; we were Costa Rican restaurant virgins,) we searched the streets for our longed intoxication. We deserve a good drunk; navigating a foreign country isn't easy. We found a Cantina with all-night-Happy-Hour. Best. Invention. Ever. Our buzz led to the purchase of a small bottle of local rum. Which, in turn, led to our underwater secrets in the (possibly) closed hotel pool. Our relationship is strong. And it is only getting stronger. I love this girl very much. We're sitting here, on her bed; she gets the bigger bed because I got the last one. I'm going to stop writing now, she's growing sleepy. A drunk, sleepy Chelsea is not as much fun as a giggly, drunk Chelsea.

Again,
Derek Williamson

XOXOXOXO

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're having fun! I love the friendship you and Chelsea have. Everyone needs a friend like you two are to each other.

    Oh, and the author is Charlaine Harris.

    ReplyDelete