Monday, October 18, 2010

Higher Than Clouds


I know. I am aware. It is to be expected... And yet, when it happens again, I'll be surprised... Again.

A couple of days ago a friend from high school, Destree, posted on her FB page how she agreed with the new LDS president (What the hell happened to the old one?!). Packer was saying that man was put on this earth to replenish it-that lead to the subject of homosexuality. Because of this, Destree believes that gays are "unnatural and perverted." A few people commented and said either she was wrong or they agreed with her. I felt, naturally, that she is/was wrong. I put my cursor on the white box that said Comment here... and I clicked. I began to right. At first I didn't know how I wanted to approach the subject. I don't really like hearing the phrases, "I'm not gay but I still support them." I feel like no one ever said, "I'm not black but I think they should be able to share our water fountains." Isn't it obvious who is not black? And while it may not be as obvious, sexuality should not be defined in a defensive comment. So I began it with courage. "I'm gay," I said.

"I'm gay. I am not perverted. I don't feel I am unnatural. In fact, being the way I am is the most natural thing in the world for me." I went on saying what I believe and defining what is actually unnatural. I suggested that not all homosexuals are perverts and that most child abusers and sex offenders are "heterosexual." I ended my rant with a simple note. "I might add that we aren't looking to share our beliefs, we are merely looking for acceptance. Love has no gender."

Apparently, for Reese, another kid from high school, this did not fly. He began with, "Derek Williamson. Youre a dumb ass." Resisting the temptation to comment on the fact that he spelled you're wrong, I continued. Reese spoke of many things. None of which made sense. He got belligerent, violent, and rude. He spoke very highly of himself and his church (LDS, of course) and called me a faggot in passing. He demonstrated the utmost foul way of going about being a good person. Mind you, I cannot say I have ever really liked or disliked Reese. We were never friends. We went to high school together, but we never actually spoke. I found it funny, though, when he knocked up our Senior Class President in the back seat of a car in the parking lot of BYU, where she had a full ride scholarship. Why, you ask, did I find this funny? Because it is always funny when a dumb-ass gets pregnant! Haha, and he called me the dumb one?

His comment was not unnoticed, Adam, (another former class mate) took the more calm approach to explaining what Destree was trying to say. He said his church believes in marriage and family and all that great stuff that people believe that I will never have. Let me tell everyone here something, I'll be damned if I allow society to determine whether or not I will be allowed to have a husband or to start a family. I will be a far more fit parent than Reese, or my brother, or the 16 year old crack head in the alley.


Religion is the opium of the people. They thrive on it. They flock to it is going on sale the day after Thanksgiving. Without faith, people fail.

I believe in love. Above all things, I believe in love. With out it, I fail.

4 comments:

  1. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

    I thought of this for some reason...I love you Derek :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, I love you and I sincerely hope that you know that. I just wanted to say that I am sorry that he said those things to you because being cruel like that is not part of my religion at all and I wouldn't want you to base an opinion on one persons lack of class. I know that we have different beliefs on some things but I still love the person that you are because in spite of those different beliefs, I see that you are first and foremost, a loving, deep, loyal, caring person among other things. Some people are not able to look past differences and see the beauty in people and they are the ones that are missing out on something AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Paige. I appreciate your love and I return it. It is hard going through life knowing that not everyone is like you and all my other close friends. Sometimes you just have to realize that there are bigoted jerks in this world. Bummer, but that is just the way it is. I cannot wait until one day, we can forget our differences and make this a happy, peaceful world. One free of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel furious at this reese boy, derek. how dare he. but like your other friend said, never base your opinion of any religion on the people. people will always disappoint. i love you, derek.

    ReplyDelete