Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dog as an Anagram.


Every time I try to determine my religious views in a blog or on paper, I struggle on whether or not to capitalize the word "God."

On the occasions that I write god, I assume he/she will proof read it and change it for me, before it is submitted. Or is it me who is motivated enough, hopeful enough, to write God? Am I the one who decides? If I write god, will God punish me? If I were to write God, would god himself/herself be disappointed?

It doesn't ever change before submission, which leads me to ask, "How do people spell my name?" Does derek even care? Do people lie awake and think about Derek, derek, or just about [Gee] oh Dee?

2 comments:

  1. I think grammatically speaking "God" is capitalized just as any name is. If your dog was named "Dog" you'd capitalize it. It doesn't have to signify your dog's superiority, simply his status as a proper noun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it depends on if you believe God(god) is a proper noun or not. I believe an argument could be made for why you SHOULD NOT capitalize it and of course there is the argument (like what Bridget pointed out) of why you should. It just depends on who/what God(god) is for you.

    Also, I believe that most religions frown upon people calling themselves God. Keep up the good work. :D

    ReplyDelete